Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 19


Ecclesiastes 9:11  - I returned and saw under the sun that— the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to men of understanding, nor favor to men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all.


Solomon was really in a dark place when he wrote this.  He must have been feeling a lot like many of us feel from time to time:  what's the use of being good anyway?  We try, we strive, we do what God says, and yet, evil still prevails all around us.  So what's the use?


Why workout today?  Just gonna have to workout again tomorrow?  Why cook today?  It's just gonna get eaten and add to the weight I have to work off?  Why cut the grass?  It's just gonna grow back and I'll have to cut it again next week.  I could go on and on, but you get the gist.  Sometimes hopelessness is one of the ugly obstacles we must overcome to reach the expected end God promised us.


I sure didn't feel like doing anything worthwhile today, especially when I looked out and saw the veritable mountain of work that had to be done.  But then I remembered that even God took six days, so why should I think that I have to do it all in one day?  I also decided to look at a counterpart of that scripture verse, as found in James 1:12 - Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.


I went out and tackled what I could, and did the same thing God did: I looked at it and saw that it was good!  I triumphed over those spirits of hopelessness and lethargy, and continued the restoration process to my garden.  I'm sore because I didn't stretch after finishing, but the task is done, and it's coming along very nicely.  As well as the muscle tone to my arms!


So there!


19 days down, 346 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment